Name: Tuomas J. Rasanen
- Instruments: Drum set, percussion
- Experience: I have been playing percussion since 2006, I started my concert activities in 2014 and since then I have been playing with various bands all over Lithuania and Europe. Describe yourself: I am a motivated and inquisitive musician who wants to try different styles
1. Tell us how and when did you realize you were inclined to music?
When I was still very small at home there was music playing from the TV. Most of the time, it used to show cartoons, and especially I liked to dance and beat at the rhythm according to the soundtrack of Disney movies. My first drums were parents’ dishes and pots. In 2010, when I was 11, my parents bought electric drums and since then I’ve been playing every day with great desire and discipline.
2. Did your parents support your choice or did they have difficulty moving towards their dream?
My parents have always supported my musical activities. They saw that I took music seriously as early as adolescence, so they gave me a lot of freedom to improve and decide my own path. That’s why I’m grateful to them.
3. Which genre of music do you prefer?
I’m reluctant to prioritize a particular genre. For me, any music that awakens posturing feelings motivates me to improve and enjoy. I played a lot of jazz music when I was still studying in Boston, USA.
4. How do you see your future related to music? Do you want to learn something new, maybe you have new ideas?
I see myself performing in projects with performers who inspire me and learn something from the musical side. I want to spend more time on my author’s music and improve myself as a musician. There is always room for improvement, so you need to awaken your curiosity and not lose interest.
5. What advice would you give to someone who would like to test himself in the realm of music but has not yet made up his mind. How to encourage you to test yourself and help unfold your desire?
If you don’t try, you won’t know what to say. You just have to try to play different styles with different musicians. Everyone learns at different paces, but we can all meet at the finish line, it just requires desire, a lot of work and patience. After a while, with practice, you begin to notice that you discover your unique sound and this is one of the most satisfying feelings.